Are you someone who dreams of becoming financially free and retiring early, but feel overwhelmed by financial jargon and complicated investing strategies?
What if I told you that there’s a fun, educational, and interactive way to develop the mindset and skills you need to achieve financial success?
What is the CASHFLOW game?
Let me introduce you to CASHFLOW, a popular board game designed by Robert Kiyosaki, author of the best-selling book “Rich Dad Poor Dad.”
Not only does this game provide entertainment, but it also teaches financial literacy and strategic thinking.
But beyond the fun of playing a game, CASHFLOW has real-life benefits that can help us make better decisions when it comes to managing our money.
What can you learn from the CASHFLOW game?
Have you ever heard the term “cash flow” before?
To make money work for you, you need cash flow, and cash flow is not a concept reserved only for board games.
In the game, players learn that positive cash flow is essential for financial stability and growth. By managing their income and expenses in the game, players can better understand how to manage their finances in real life and achieve financial freedom to retire early.
Let me break down the most beneficial financial concepts you can take away from CASHFLOW:
- Cash flow management: The game teaches you the importance of managing your cash inflows and outflows to achieve financial stability and growth.
- Asset acquisition: You can learn how to acquire assets such as stocks, real estate, and businesses to build wealth.
- Debt management: The game teaches you how to manage debt and leverage it to acquire assets and generate income.
- Strategic thinking: You have to make strategic decisions about how to invest your money and grow your wealth, which helps to develop critical thinking skills.
- Financial literacy: The game introduces important financial concepts such as assets, liabilities, expenses, and cash flow, which are valuable for understanding personal finance and can be applied in real-life situations.
How to play the CASHFLOW game
Now that you know what you can learn from the game, let’s talk about how to play it.
CASHFLOW simulates real-life financial scenarios and is played in two stages: the Rat Race and the Fast Track.
1. Rat Race
- You start with money and a job card that determines your monthly income.
- Roll the dice, land on spaces that offer opportunities or challenges related to money and can buy/sell assets like real estate, stocks, and businesses.
- You must manage expenses, including unexpected bills.
- When you accumulate enough passive income, you can exit the Rat Race.
2. Fast Track
- You can move onto the Fast Track when you have enough passive income to cover your expenses.
- In the Fast Track, you can invest in bigger deals, including real estate and commodities.
- The objective is to accumulate enough wealth to reach your financial goal, determined at the start of the game.
To achieve success in the CASHFLOW game, players must also keep track of their balance sheet.
Below is the sample of the balance sheet that you will be using in your game:
The balance sheet gives you a clear understanding of your financial position. It includes assets, liabilities, income and expenses.
By monitoring your balance sheet, you can make informed financial decisions, such as identifying areas of overspending and underspending or determining which assets generate the most income.
The balance sheet is an essential tool in the game, helping you to achieve your financial objectives and generate enough passive income to become the winner.
Why is cash flow important?
After learning about the benefits of playing the CASHFLOW game, you may be wondering why cash flow is so important in the first place.
The truth is, cash flow management is a fundamental aspect of personal finance and investing. Sometimes, what you think are assets may be a liability to you. This is why understanding cash flow is essential to achieving financial freedom.
I have explained this concept extensively in my book, FIRE Your Retirement, the approach to achieving financial freedom and generating wealth is through cash flow.
You should focus on building assets, such as businesses or investments, that generate cash flow, rather than just relying on a traditional job for income.
The process is illustrated in the diagram below.
This looks simple but is not easy to comprehend.
And what’s a better way to learn than to connect and meet other like-minded individuals who also aspire to achieve financial freedom?
Join our CASHFLOW Game Night in person
We host regular CASHFLOW Game Nights. Leave your email below to be notified of the next event.
Not only will this be an entertaining night, but you will also learn valuable financial concepts such as:
- The importance of cash flow
- The difference between assets and liabilities
- The power of passive income
- The importance of taking calculated risks
Plus, you’re going through this journey not by yourself but as a community.
Don’t miss out on this opportunity to improve your financial literacy and have fun doing it. Register your interest below.